Friday, March 16, 2012

Happy Birthday, Dad


Today is my Dad’s birthday... I should call him, don’t you think? Well, I know I should but these days I kinda dread picking his call. Last one I picked went a little like this:
Me: Hello, daddy! How are you?
Dad: I’m well, thank God! How are you yourself?
Me: Fine
Dad: Since you refused to come see me so we could talk, let’s just have the talk now. (Over the years I’ve learnt to stall each time my dad insists on seeing me to have a talk... it’s usually about something I don’t want to talk about.)
Me: ok
Dad: Erm... it’s about you getting
married...
Silence...
Dad: don’t you want to get married ni? A woman’s time clocks fast o!
At that point, I fell really silent... and said ever so quietly “I’ll get married when I’m ready...” Somehow he knew he got to me this time, it wasn’t the first time we were having this kind of discussion. Most times, I’d give him that “back off, old man!” kind of tone... and say “I’m not ready. Marriage is a means to an end, not an end in itself! I’m going to get married eventually, it’s one of those things I’ll do in life...”  But he got to me that afternoon, and he knew it... so this time he did backed off... pleasantries ended our awkward gist and he hung up after saying goodbye. He was travelling in a few days, back to his station up north... Ok, I miss my dad.
There are many times I have had issues believing in his love for me. But, I know he loves me... Back when we were kids, he was always there to take us to salon, my sister and me... He would drop us off and bring us back home, then he would take his time to decorate our hair. Some other memorable times are times when the food gets too spicy with too much pepper... you see my dad pull back his chair from the dining table bend over to blow air into the mouth of two crying girls with runny noses... then he goes “blow your nose...” with tissue paper to our nose. He was one dad who does think it too much to spend time with his kids.
Anyway, this is not a biography time, maybe sometime soon... But as you celebrate your 65th birthday today, I say thank you for loving me and teaching the way to go. May the labour of your hands never go in vain... may you eat your fill of the fruit of your labour... may the glory of your old age never fade... Happy Birthday, dad! I love you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Dropa line; I'd love to hear you!

ShareThis